Saturday, November 3, 2007

Rightly Dividing the Word

Okay so this was something I was wrestling with a couple of months ago, once I began to understand the New Covenant, I had to question much of Scripture and how I viewed it. I was in a church group meeting with some dear friends and we were reading out of Matt. 5: 13-20 (I think) the section about Salt and Light, and discussing the passage together. Everyone had thoughts and interesting perspectives, but I sat in my seat thinking I just don't think we are getting it. I honestly didn't know myself what the passage was truly truly about, but I felt like we were missing something. Then it dawned on me, I think we may have been trying to apply a Scripture to our lives that may not be meant to. I asked isn't this passage written before Jesus death, ....then I wasn't sure how to say the rest, but I know I realized since this passage was before the New Covenant, isn't it Old Covenant and therefore considered Law, and therefore it doesn't apply to us as we are trying to interpret it???? So, I started to see how everything in the bible before Jesus fulfilled the Law so it could be abolished so those that come to Christ no longer are under the law whatsoever! So shouldn't we read the bible with this in mind! 

2Timothy 2:15, " Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved, a workman who has no cause to be ashamed, correctly analyzing and accurately dividing (rightly handling and skillfully teaching) the Word of Truth."

Anyway, here's an article, written by someone much wiser than me regarding this issue -it's by Steve McVey, founder of Gracewalk Ministries.


No comments: