Monday, November 12, 2007

Two for one

Last night I attended my brother's baptism. I was blessed to hear his testimony as well as my sister-in-law's testimony, 2 for the price of one!!! Anyway, it really is a cool thing to stop and take time to share our testimonies with one another! It gives us a chance to reflect on God's goodness, faithfulness and grace to us as well as others. It's so encouraging to be built up by hearing testimonies, I really believe God uses the sharing of them to speak to us! So, here's to sharing -let's make this a regular occurence amidst our times of fellowship!!
Also, I was blessed to hear preaching from Romans 6 -twice yesterday,once at my own church and again at the baptism, another two for the price of one! I am grateful to hear the message captured in Romans 6 over and over, so I can really wrap my mind around it! It really is freedom my friends! I wish I had read this year's ago and understood it - but I am grateful to now be receiving this truth and renewing my mind with it!

Romans 6: 1-10(Amplified Bible)I guess reading 5 before this is pretty helpful, I just want to stress what 6 brings though.

"What shall we say, to all this? Are we to remain in sin in order that God's grace(favor and mercy) may multiply and overflow?
Certainly not! How can we who died to sin live in it any longer? Are you ignorant of the fact that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? We were buried therefore with Him by the baptism into death, so that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious (power) of the Father, so we too might (habitually) live and behave in newness of life. For if we have become one with Him by sharing a death like His, we shall also be (one with Him in sharing) His resurrection(by a new life lived for God). We know that our old (unrenewed) self was nailed to the cross with Him in order that (our) body (which is the instrument) of sin might be made ineffective and inactive for evil, that we might no longer be the slaves of sin. For when a man dies, he is freed(loosed, delivered) from (the power of) sin. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, because we know that Christ (the Annointed One), being once raised from the dead, will never die again; death no longer has power over Him. For by the death He died, He died to sin once for all; and the life that He lives, He is living with God (living in unbroken fellowship with Him) in Christ Jesus.
vs. 14 For sin shall not (any longer) exert dominion over you, since now you are not under Law(as slaves), but under grace (as subjects of God's favor and mercy).
vs. 17But thank God, though you were once slaves of sin, you have become obedient with all your heart to the standard of teaching in which you were instructed and to which you were committed." 


Okay, I am still taking this all in .............

No comments: