Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Practicing His Presence....


I am finally engaged in reading this book that comes highly recommended by many. "Practicing His Presence." by Brother Lawrence and Frank Laubach.  Apparently, it is one of those all time greatest pieces of Christian Literature. Funny, I never heard of it until this past year!
 
Anyway, you know how it goes with me, I simply must share and quote a bit here.......

 January 26, 1930 - " In defense of my opening my soul and laying it bare to the public gaze in this fashion, I may say that it seems to me that we really seldom do anybody much good excepting as we share the deepest experiences of our souls in this way. It is not the fashion to tell your inmost thoughts, but there are many wrong fashions, and concealment of the best in us is wrong. I disapprove of the usual practice of talking "small talk" whenever we meet, and holding a veil over our souls. If we are so impoverished that we have nothing to reveal but small talk, then we need to struggle for more richness of soul. As for me, I am convinced that this spiritual pilgrimage which I am making is infinitely worthwhile, the most important thing I know of to talk about. And talk I shall while there is anybody to listen." (Frank Laubach.)

March 1, 1930 - " The sense of being led by an unseen hand which takes mine while another hand reaches ahead and prepares the way, grows upon me daily. I do not need to strain at all to find opportunity. It piles in upon me as the waves roll over the beach, and yet there is time to do something about each opportunity. Perhaps a man who has been an ordained minister since 1914 ought to be ashamed to confess that he never before felt the joy of complete hourly, minute by minute  -now what shall I call it? -  more than surrender. I had that before. More than listening to God. I tried that before. I cannot find the word that will mean to you or to me what I am now experiencing. It is a will act.  I compel my mind to open straight out toward God. I wait and listen with determined sensitiveness. I fix my attention there, and sometimes it requires a long time early in the morning. I determine not to get out of bed until that mind upon the Lord is settled. After a while perhaps, it will become a habit, and the sense of effort will grow less. 
But why do I constantly harp upon this inner experience? Because I feel convinced that for me, and for you who read, there lie ahead undiscovered continents of spiritual living compared with which we are infants in his arms. 
And I must witness that people outside are treating me differently. Obstacles which I once would have regarded as insurmountable are melting away like a mirage. People are becoming friendly who suspected or neglected me. I feel, I feel like one who has had his violin out of tune with the orchestra and at last is in harmony with the universe. 
As for me, I never lived, I was half dead, I was a rotting tree, until I reached the place where I wholly, with utter honesty, resolved and then re-resolved that I would find God's will and I would do that will though every fibre in me said no, and I would win the battle in my thoughts. It was as though some deep artesian well has been struck in my soul of souls and strength came forth. I do not claim success even for  a day yet, not complete success all day, but some days are close to success, and every day is tingling with the joy of  a glorious discovery. That thing is eternal. That thing is undefeatable. You and I shall soon blow away from bodies. Money, praise, poverty, opposition, these make no difference, for they will all alike be forgotten in a thousand years, but this spirit which comes to mind set upon continuous surrender, this spirit is timeless life.(Frank Laubach)

April 18, 1930 - "I have tasted a thrill in fellowship with God which has made anything discordant with God disgusting. This afternoon the possession of God has caught me up with such sheer joy that I thought I never had known anything like it. God was so close and so amazingly lovely that I felt like melting all over with a strange and blissful contentment. Having had this experience, which comes to me now several times a week, the thrill of filth repels me, for I know its power to drag me from God. And after an hour of close friendship with God my soul feels clean, as new fallen snow,"(Frank Laubach)



Wow,  I just love how he expresses his deepest thoughts and lays bare his soul. He has come to understand his own spiritual reality and is alive to it, awakened to the fact that in his inner being God is there. He longs to spend every waking moment with God on his mind!!! His motive to pursue God relentlessly is out of the deepest love for His Creator Father!! 
Don't be surprised if I quote from this book a lot. This man's writing resonates with much of what I have been sensing and experiencing over the last year, it is incredible! He writes with such beauty too.....anyway, I hope this blesses someone else today!! Much grace and peace!! Enjoy Him today!!!!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Lydia Joy,
Great Blogpage! I have also reading "Practicng His Presence." Excellent book. Helped me to live in the "now," being mindful of all around me. Living in the today, instead of yesterday and tomorrow. This is the only way to live.

To “introduce” myself, I found your Blog page from AidaC’s. I’m also now in the God Journey Forum “niche” (hee hee). Lydia, excellent posts & thoughts here. I look spending some time reading more here. I also love the pictures of you and your son.

~Amy
http://www.myspace.com/amyinsurprise
http://www.freebelieversnecklaces.com

lydia said...

Welcome Amy C,
It's great to "meet" you!!! I am glad you enjoy the blog!!
Yes this is an awesome book, a great reminder to spend time basking in God's presence all the time, even in the seemingly mundane moments of life, which now all are to me an opportunity to meet with God....what a great way to live!!!
Hope to hear more from you.....much grace and peace to you!! Oh hect and throw in some joy also!!

Matthew Campbell said...

Lydia, thank you so much for posting this. He describes a lot of what I go through. My deepest desire is to have God constantly on my mind. But the business of my mind and feeling compelled to do things for God (which creates anxiety) enter in and choke that desire.

Matthew Campbell said...

I meant to say busyness. ;)

lydia said...

Matt,
You are so welcome!!
I think it's all about renewing our minds.....you are doing great!!
For some reason I just remembered that song, "you are always on my mind, you are always on my mind...." - can't possibly tell you who sang it, but it was one of those cheesy songs I listened to in high school, anyway, it's funny how many secular songs could really be sung about God instead....or to him!!

Much grace and peace to you!!